[Cg1] AreaLight

Alex Schlosser schlosser at st.cs.uni-saarland.de
Wed Jan 7 19:42:18 CET 2015

Hi,

in the 'Distribution Raytracing' slides it says we should scale the
light sources intensity by incident cosine and the area of the
source-solid. As far as I understood it we achieve the behaviour of an
area light by simulating N pointlights each having an intensity divided
by N. The integral in the area light equation then gives us N=source area.
I don't think the cosine scaling is done at all in the reference picture
because the top of the walls should be way darker (Also we cannot easily
reach the sources normal vector in the given structure).
So what I ended up doing is dividing the intensity by (distance^2 /
area), mind the paranthesis because the scene is very 'small' and both
distance and area are below 1.
This achieves a very similar image to the reference, I do not know if
this is correct though.
Image: http://i.imgur.com/8iBcBXI.png

Cheers,
Alex