[Cg1] Question about the Anisotropic material

Duarte David s8dudavi at stud.uni-saarland.de
Tue Dec 18 17:01:01 CET 2018

  Hello,

  Regarding the exercise 2.8, we are required to implement an
anisotropic material.

  How should we define the anisotropy directions?

  Usually, they are computed using the derivatives of the texture
coordinates with respect to the 3d position, yielding those which are
usually called bitangent (dv/dx,dv/dy,dv/dz) and tangent (usually
prependicular to the bitangent to generate a orthonormal system)
vectors to the surface.

  Should we compute these? Or should we just pass a couple of vectors
to the anisotropic material and use them (along with the normal) to
build an orthonormal system (and get the anisotropic directions from
this)?

  Thank you.